We understand that this is an exciting and important time for both you and your furry friend, especially if you’ve just undergone the process of pet shipping. To help ensure a smooth transition and the well-being of your pet during their first days in their new environment, here are some guidelines to consider.
Guidelines for Your Pet After Arrival at Their New Destination
1. Limiting Water Intake: It’s natural for pets to be a bit stressed after a journey. While it’s essential to keep your pet hydrated, consider limiting their water intake immediately after arrival. This can help prevent stomach upset or accidents indoors. Gradually offer small amounts of water and monitor their response.
2. Rest and Calm Environment: Give your pet a quiet and comfortable space to rest. The journey and new surroundings can be overwhelming, so allowing them to unwind and relax is important. Create a calm environment with familiar bedding and toys.
3. Gradual Introduction: If you have other pets in the household, introduce them gradually and under supervision. Allow your new pet to explore their surroundings and interact with others at their own pace.
4. Feeding Routine: Stick to your pet’s regular feeding routine, using the same type of food they were accustomed to before the journey. Familiarity in their diet can help ease their transition.
5. Bathroom Breaks: Take your pet outdoors for bathroom breaks frequently during the first days to help them become familiar with their new relief spots.
6. Short Walks and Exploration: Once your pet seems settled and more comfortable, take them for short walks to explore their new neighborhood. Use a secure leash and supervise their interactions with other animals and people.
7. Signs of Stress: Monitor your pet for signs of stress, which can include excessive panting, hiding, decreased appetite, or excessive meowing/barking. These behaviors are generally temporary but should be noted.
8. Veterinary Check-Up: Schedule a visit to a local veterinarian within the first week to ensure your pet’s health and well-being. They can also provide guidance on any adjustments to your pet’s care routine.
9. Hydration and Nourishment: Encourage your pet to drink water, ensuring they stay hydrated. Gradually increase their food intake as they become more settled, and their appetite returns to normal.
10. Reestablishing Routine: As soon as your pet shows signs of comfort and familiarity, reestablish their daily routines, including feeding, playtime, and exercise.
11. Patience and Comfort: Remember that every pet adjusts at their own pace. Offer patience, comfort, and lots of love during this time of transition.
12. Stay in Touch: Our team is here to support you even after your pet’s arrival. If you have any questions, concerns, or need further advice, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
We understand that the first days following pet shipping in a new environment can be both exciting and challenging for your pet. With your care and attention, your pet will soon settle into their new home and routines!
Our team of pet transport specialists are here for all of your pet shipping needs!