+1 214-396-5070 or text us at (469) 757-4364 info@worldpettravel.com

Poisons for Pets at Christmas Time

Great food and treats abound this time of year. Don’t make the mistake of sharing that great food with your pets. What we consider to be treats can be extremely dangerous to your furry family members.

1. Grapes and raisinsSome dogs will eat one or two grapes and become seriously ill while others can eat lots of them with no ill-effects. The only way to be safe is to keep them out of reach of your dog.
2. Christmas pudding and mince piesJam-packed full of currants, raisins and sultanas which are toxic to dogs. Laced with alcohol which is also poisonous.
3. Chocolate coinsSometimes we forget about the treats hanging from our trees or under them. These babies can smell the chocolate and break into a present not meant for them putting our pet in grave danger.
4. Bones-Once cooked all bones become brittle and splinter easily. This can lead to fragments getting stuck or gut irritation and perforation. Don’t leave meat/bones within reach of your dog. May present more temptation than they can control.
5. Macadamia nuts-Within 12 hours of ingestion a dog may experience weakness-especially in the hind limbs-depression, tremors, vomiting and hyperthermia.
6. AlcoholWe tend to use much more alcohol in our cooking at this time of year and so even normal titbits can be potentially problematic over the Christmas period. As it is for people, alcohol is also intoxicating for dogs and can cause similar unpleasant side effects. 

Pet Poison Helpline is a 24-hour animal poison control service available throughout the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet. 24/7 Animal Poison Control Center. 1-855-764-7661


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.